The extensive use of smartphones has brought mobile apps into prominence. From buying your grocery to making important financial transactions, everything is done over simple mobile apps. That’s why according to LinkedIn mobile app developers are the most sought professionals on this Microsoft-owned professional network. In this detailed blog, we will discuss how to hire remote developers.
According to Statista, the number of android apps released per day in the first quarter of 2018 was 6140. Now that’s huge! The importance of having a mobile phone app for your business and the mass availability of professionals in the field makes hiring app developers more critical. In order to find the best, a lot of precision is required while hiring.
How to Hire Remote Developers?
Now, every software engineer does not know how to build apps. It requires technical knowledge about coding in this particular niche, and a skill he can’t afford to miss is creativity. Since a mobile app developer in most instances designs the app too, he must be an artist at heart. If you have a business partner that can develop apps for you, it’s good. He will take care of your hiring. Even if you do not, don’t worry! You have the internet, the mother of all solutions to help you out.
The general thumb rule is that you Google something like ‘need mobile app developers and you’ll get a curated list from Google. So, fortunately, there is no shortage of app developers in the world for you to hire. All this makes it seem like hiring app developers is easy, but it is not so in reality. We thought of taking the complexity out of this affair, so we are putting forth a few principles for optimal hiring.
Want to hire remote developers for your mobile app project? Our mobile app development team Singapore has expertise in developing mobile apps.
1. Know the Basics
You should know what language app developers use for creating mobile apps. At the same time, you should be aware of your target audience. The complexity of your app determines the language of the code you use. iOS requires a different code than Android and there are coding languages that work on both, so that is something you need to be sure about. You would also want to know the wages of mobile app development of different sorts in the market.
A good mobile app development agency would be there to help. While discussing your project with them, they will be in a position to tell you which language and style would work for you.
2. Check the Experience
It is natural for you to look for an experienced mobile app developer or an agency. No one would want to hire a novice when the project at hand is crucial. The hired professional need not be an expert, but having experience is a must. You can also ask for samples of the codes and details of the work they have done in this field. Interview him once you are satisfied with his previous work.
If you choose to go along with an agency, you should be particular about their previous projects and the type of clients they have served.
3. Communicate your Needs
If the mobile app developer does well in the interview, you need to guide him to your needs. The remote developers know how to design and develop apps, but they do not know your business and the customers you cater to in your industry. Hence, it becomes imperative to build relationships with your remote developers and communicate with them. You need to be particular about the type of business you are in. You also would need to introduce the mobile app developer to your competitor apps.
At this stage, if you have some favorite applications that are relevant, it is a wise decision to expose the developer to them.
An important thing to note here is that a well-rounded mobile app developer should be familiar with both the front-end and the back-end design and development of an app, but experience tells us that a ‘full-stack’ mobile app developer may not be a reality. Generally, a mobile app developer might be good in either of the two, design or development.
4. Understanding the Mobile App Development Project
As with the development of any other IT Project, mobile app development takes place in phases. There is a stage when you design the layout of the app. Then you would shift to coding it and then you need to do all the backend integrations. Finally, it will come down to testing. And mind you, testing must be intensive. So, it is an amalgam of skills that gives shape to a perfect app.
While planning your project, go into as many details as possible. This will not only lead to more accurate processes but will also help in estimating the budgets for hiring a developer more realistically.
Details that are needed would be forming a creative brief, design style, specifications, additional requirements, and technical specifications. Determining all this would give you more clarity on the kind of developer you would really need.
Want to develop a mobile app for your business? Our digital product development company is an award-winning app-making company.
5. Creating a Job Description
All the information you have gathered while you tried to understand the project holistically will come into use here to create a detailed job post. A good description here will help you get a better match. There are three things that should clearly be mentioned:
- What do you expect from the app and the developer?
- Clarify the project duration or deadlines.
- Specific skills and experience that you think are a must to do the job well?
Just a point to note here is that it’s important to mention both API and Design specifications. This will help you in keeping the wrong candidates at bay.
How to Hire Remote Developers: Must-Use Tips
- Ask for the app developer’s portfolio: It will give you an insight into the app developer’s clientele. You can directly phone up one of the past or present clients and obtain feedback. Usually, remote developers have their websites. Check out their sites, primarily to gauge the UI/UX aspects. User experience is a vital aspect of any mobile app.
You should always go through thoroughly the portfolio of the app developer to know the projects they have worked on.
- Look for creativity: You would like your app to stand out from the others. Therefore, creativity plays a vital role in selecting remote developers. Your interpersonal and communication skills come to the forefront here. Choose an app developer who is ready to walk the extra mile along with you. It helps in building up a tremendous rapport.
- The flexibility of working: It is possible that your app developer might be living in a country having a different time zone. Therefore, your communication tools like Skype, email, phone, and so on gain importance. The time difference can also be a defining factor.
- Payment terms: You would have a budget in mind. Now, you have an idea of how much these app developers charge. Does it synchronize with your budget? It is better to clarify things beforehand. There can be issues like additional costs for developing security systems. Remember that the cheapest option is never the best one. As you need a decent product, be ready to shell out decent money as well.
How to Hire Remote Developers: Questions you Should Ask
Now, we shall look at some of the fundamental questions that you should ask while searching for app developers. This will give you a perfect idea of how to initiate the conversation with your app developer.
1. Will you be able to provide a list of past and current customers?
It will get you an idea about the quality of work the app developer has maintained in the past. You will also understand the kind of projects he has worked on.
2. Which platform are you an expert at?
Some app developers are comfortable with building Android apps whereas some prefer the iOS platform. Know in advance about the area of expertise.
3. Can you recommend any additional features for the app? Will you be able to do it?
You can test the app developer’s creativity. It will help you stay ahead of the competition.
4. How do you propose to conduct the testing?
Testing your app is vital. Usually, app developers have their methods of testing. It is better to ask them beforehand.
5. Will you be able to submit the app to app stores?
App developers must know how to submit the app to the app stores and resolve any concerns raised by them. Submitting an app to the app store properly is critical for the success of your app to get visibility and downloads for your app.
6. Can we sign a copyright agreement?
The copyright of the app should rest with the client and not the app developer. Owning the copyright of the app will give the option to file the patent if required. It will ensure that the app remains unique.
7. What will be your fees and payment terms?
Developing an app requires a lot of effort on the part of the app developer. Naturally, you need to pay for their efforts. Knowing the details in advance is always better.
Want to get an idea of the app development budget? This guide on app development costs in Singapore will help you get the estimated cost.
How to Hire Remote Developers: Do’s and Dont’s
- The cheapest option for a mobile app developer is never the best one. At the same time, the most expensive one is also not necessarily the best as well. Choose the option which is based on you based on your requirements.
- Experience counts a lot. It is better to hire app developers that have experience in developing similar apps.
- Have a budget for developing an app. Set aside a specific sum of money for the purpose. Btw, you must have the budget for promoting the app.
- Decide on the timeframe in advance. You cannot wait for an eternity for the app developer to go on with their job.
- Always keep the option of hiring a mobile app development company open. It might give you way better results than an in-house app developer.
You get the opportunity of interacting with different people, with unique ideas. It automatically broadens your thinking and strengthens your judgment. The steps discussed above should give you an idea of helping you to hire app developers for your business.